1. What is SMB/DLNA?
- SMB (Server Message Block) is a protocol for sharing files between computers, and DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a standard for sharing media files in a digital home network. They are both common protocols for sharing media files in a local area network.
2. Why can’t I find the device when I have DLNA turned on?
If you have DLNA turned on but cannot search for a device, it may be one of the following reasons:
- The device does not have DLNA enabled or is not connected to the same LAN. Make sure that the devices you want to connect to have DLNA enabled and are connected to the same LAN.
- The device’s firewall or router settings are preventing DLNA connections. Please make sure your device’s firewall or router does not have rules set to prevent DLNA connection.
- The device is not set up correctly. Please check the settings of the devices you want to connect to and make sure they are all DLNA compliant. Some devices may require DLNA to be turned on manually or need to be configured in the network settings.
- The DLNA server is not properly configured. Make sure your DLNA server is properly configured with the media library so that media files can be shared over the network.
- The software version of the DLNA client is not supported. Please make sure that your DLNA client software version meets the DLNA requirements and supports the media file format you want to share.
If none of the above methods solve the problem, you can try rebooting your device, restarting your router or reinstalling the DLNA client software.
3. How to set up DLNA/SMB file sharing on Mac
To set up DLNA/SMB file sharing on Mac, you can follow these steps:
- Open System Preferences and click the Sharing option.
- In the Sharing tab, check the File Sharing option.
- In the File Sharing option, you can choose to enable SMB or DLNA sharing.
- If you choose to enable SMB sharing, you can select the folders to be shared and the users and groups authorized to access the shared files. 5.
- If you choose to enable DLNA sharing, you will need to install a media server software that supports the DLNA protocol, such as Plex or Twonky. 6.
- After installing the media server software, you can add the media files to be shared to the media library and set the sharing parameters, such as folder access permissions and media type.
- Finally, search for available SMB or DLNA sharing services on other devices and enter the IP address or share name of your Mac computer to access them.
Note: Your Mac and VR device need to be connected to the same (wireless) LAN.
4. How to set up DLNA/SMB file sharing on Windows
- Connect your computer and other devices to the same network.
- Open Control Panel and select Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on “Change advanced sharing settings”. 4.
- Enable “Enable file sharing” and “Enable SMB1.0 / CIFS file sharing support”, and then enable “Enable media traffic”.
- Select the files or folders you want to share, right-click and select Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box, select the Sharing tab, and then click the Advanced Sharing button.
- Select the Share this folder option and give the shared folder a name.
- Click the Permissions button and set the access rights for the users or groups that need to access the shared folder.
- Click the OK button to save your changes and close the dialog box.
Now other devices can access the shared folder and play media files. If your Windows Firewall is enabled, you may need to set the appropriate exception or permission rules to ensure that other devices can access your shared folder.
5. How do I open Dlna on my Nas/Router?
To turn on DLNA service on your NAS / router, the exact steps depend on the make and model of device you are using, here are some general steps:
- Open your NAS / router management page. You can log in to the management page by entering the IP address of your device in your browser, and then entering your administrator account name and password.
- On the management page, find the “Applications” or “Services” option and find the “DLNA Service” or "Media Server "
- If the DLNA service is not enabled, enable it and configure the service settings as needed.
- Make sure you have selected the files or folders you want to share. On some devices, you will need to set sharing permissions and sharing options.
- Launch the DLNA client on your device (e.g., smart TV, audio player, game console, etc.) and locate your DLNA server. In some cases, you will need to configure the DLNA client before you can access the server.
- Select the file or folder you want to play and start playing.